Our mission: To advance the scientific understanding of the roles of genetics, environment, and their interactions toprovide guidelines and tools for improving the sustainable productivity of southern forest ecosystems.
Research at the Southern Institute of Forest Genetics (SIFG) focuses on developing procedures to improve the health, productivity and genetic diversity of southern forests through better understanding of the genetics, ecology and evolutionary relationships in forest ecosystems. Learn more about us →
News & Events
Florida torreya (Torreya taxifolia) is a critically endangered conifer tree in swift decline since the 1950s. The torreya fungus (Fusarium torreyae) is currently devastating the remaining Florida torreya population. The fungus forms cankers, or localized dead areas, that damage branch or trunk tissue and eventually kill the trees.
- Intra-annual variation in soil C, N and nutrients pools after prescribed fire in a Mississippi longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) plantation
Butnor, John R.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Maier, Christopher A.; Nelson, C. Dana.
- Crown architecture, crown leaf area distribution, and individual tree growth efficiency vary across site, genetic entry, and planting density
Albaugh, Timothy J.; Maier, Chris A.; Campoe, Otávio C.; Yáñez, Marco A.; Carbaugh, Eric D.; Carter, David R.; Cook, Rachel L.; Rubilar, Rafael A.; Fox, Thomas R.
- Growth, Photosynthesis, and Cold Tolerance of Eucalyptus benthamii Planted in the Piedmont of North Carolina
Butnor, John ; Johnsen, Kurt ; Anderson, Peter ; Hall, Kevin ; Halman, Joshua ; Hawley, Gary ; Maier, Christopher ; Schaberg, Paul G.
- Phenotypic variation in climate-associated traits of red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) along elevation gradients in the southern Appalachian Mountains
Butnor, John ; Verrico, Brittany ; Johnsen, Kurt ; Maier, Christopher ; Vankus, Victor ; Keller, Stephen R.
- Ecological restoration of Abies religiosa forests using Nurse plants and assisted migration in the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve, Mexico
Carbajal-Navarro, Aglaen ; Navarro-Miranda, Esmeralda ; Blanco-García, Arnulfo ; Cruzado-Vargas, Ana Laura; Gómez-Pineda, Erika ; Zamora-Sánchez, Cecilia ; Pineda-García, Fernando ; O'Neill, Greg ; Gómez-Romero, Mariela ; Lindig-Cisneros, Roberto ; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Lobit, Philippe ; Lopez-Toledo, Leonel ; Herrerías-Diego, Yvonne ; Sáenz-Romero, Cuauhtémoc