Virginia McDanielForestry Technician
607 Reserve St.Phone: 501-623-1180 x112
Hot Springs, AR 71901
Hot Springs, AR 71901
- Fuel consumption during prescribed fires
- Effect of prescribed fire on the ecological communities of the Interior Highlands
- Effect of lightning ignition fires on tree mortality during a drought
- Herbaceous flora of pine woodland communities
- M.S. in Biology, 2000
- Western Kentucky University
- B.S. in Biology, 1996
- Grinnell College
- Hossain, Shaik M.; Bragg, Don C.; McDaniel, V.L. ; Crane, Barbara . 2020. A brief history of some shortleaf pine progeny tests in the Ouachita and Ozark National Forests.
- Keyser, Tara L.; McDaniel, Virginia L.; Klein, Robert N.; Drees, Dan G.; Burton, Jesse A.; Forder, Melissa M. 2018. Short-term stem mortality of 10 deciduous broadleaved species following prescribed burning in upland forests of the southern US.
- Perry, Roger W.; Jordan, Phillip N.; McDaniel, Virginia L. 2017. Effects of repeated burning on snag abundance in shortleaf pine woodlands.
- McDaniel, Virginia L.; Perry, Roger W.; Koerth, Nancy E.; Guldin, James M. 2016. Evaluation of FOFEM fuel loading and consumption estimates in pine-oak forests and woodlands of the Ouachita Mountains, Arkansas, USA.
- McDaniel, Virginia L.; Guldin, James M.; Koerth, Nancy E.; Milks, Jason E.; Finzer, Rebecca J.; Rowland, Ben F. 2016. Tree mortality following a drought-year lightning ignition in the Ouachita Mountains, Arkansas: 2 years postburn.
- Perry, Roger W.; McDaniel, Virginia L. 2015. Temperatures below leaf litter during winter prescribed burns: implications for litter-roosting bats.
- McDaniel, Virginia L.; Guldin, James M.; Perry, Roger W. 2012. Estimating fuel consumption during prescribed fires in Arkansas.
- Jenkins, Michael A.; Klein, Robert N.; McDaniel, Virginia L. 2011. Yellow pine regeneration as a function of fire severity and post-burn stand structure in the southern Appalachian Mountains.
- Fuel, Smoke, and Prescribed Fire in the Ouachita Mountains (2016)
- Prescribed burning is a key tool in restoration and management of native stands of southern pines in the southern U.S., but the smoke produced by prescribed fires can be challenging to manage. Computer models are used to simulate the effects of prescribed burning, and research is currently underway to more accurately predict the smoke that prescribed fires produce.